Thursday, March 06, 2008

Calgon.....take me away!

It has been one of those days. You know the kind....your 4 year old son has a sheet of Lightning McQueen stickers and they keep coming off and all he does is scream, no matter what you try to do for him? He is frustrated because he can't explain what he wants to me and I am frustrated because I can't figure him out! AGH! So, I did what any stressed out, dieting Mother would do. Drank a real Mountain dew and had a handful of m&m's. Now, I feel even more guilty than I did before for breaking down and running to comfort food. Michael is by far, my most challenging child. You would think that I would say that of Tyler considering he has autism, but no it's Michael. He pushes all my buttons and flips all the switches too. He is so intense. While he is intense in a frustrating, grind your teeth kind of way, he is just as intense when he is showing his love for you. Like when he comes to me and gives me his car to make me "feel better, sweetie". His hugs are heaven sent and his smile could melt ice.......wait, what was I all upset about?

3 comments:

Jill said...

Oh dear, a frustrated, dieting mom that's a tough combination. Hopefully you can cut yourself some slack and not dwell on any feelings of guilt. Making changes is hard to do and we need to be gentle with ourselves as we do this. Plus a button-pushing 4 year old could do any of us in.

Serendipity said...

Hope Friday is a better day...

Mom2fur said...

Chocolate and Mountain Dew...it's a wonder you weren't flying, LOL!

My James, now 21, was and still is my 'intense' child. As a baby, he'd scream for hours. The only way we could calm him was for Mike to hold him very close, chest to chest. As a toddler and child, he was the most active. It's a wonder that the only time he ever broke a bone was his accident back when he was 7. He made up for lost time with that one! (Broken femur, dislocated shoulder, dislocated elbow, 6 weeks in the hospital.) James is the first to growl and get angry--I mean, really, really angry. I can usually get him to snap out of it pretty quickly, and he's much easier-going now that he's starting his adulthood. But he's also the first with a hug! When I was pregnant with Nicky (almost 18 years ago...wow), I would feel so sick and tired I'd burst into tears. I can still hear Jamie's little voice saying to me: "no be cryin', mommy!"
Yep, the intense ones are also the most loving!